Thursday, May 2, 2019

BED TIME STORY



BED TIME STORIES J K SIVAN

I dont know my age.....

Siva Thatha was not walking alone.
There were more than half a dozen children from his family and their friends, who walked with him towards Palani Chettiyar Tamarind grove. It was nearly kilometer away. Plenty of trees were there providing shade and all enjoyed sitting under the trees for long. Chettiar was too old and did not object to anyone entering his private property.

Thatha pointed out to the oldest tree which was thick in its trunk, cracked barks and huge branches. There were many big holes in the tree's trunk which were the hideouts and homes for birds.

''Supposing the tree speaks ... what do you think it would say: imagine'' asked Thatha to Ramu the eldest of the children.
''I am a big tree'' -- said Ramu when everyone laughed. He felt shy.

''Thatha I cannot think what the tree would say. You imagine yourself and tell us, we will be happy to listen' Ramu said. Thatha agreed and sat under the tree with all children ready to listen to him as usual.

''I am the old tree before you and I have no name. So call me old big tree. I was not big when an English man planted me here. He was a lover of trees and plants. His name was Robert Rowland. He protected me from animals by guarding me with a fence around me. His son Henry Rowland was five years old and he, along with his friends Julie, Carol and Hughes always played around me and Henry would embrace me as I was small then. Henry liked to bring pails of water daily in the morning and evening to grow me.. I felt extremely happy in their company. As time passed, I grew tall and cried for the first time when I heard that Robert, whom I loved as my father, was killed in a war. He was a major in the English army which fought with the local kings in Mysore. I dont know history or science but was told the English were greedy in grabbing the local kingldoms to be under their control. I saw a lot of changes happening around me silently in course of time. After many years, the English men left this land and the local people were happy to rule themselves. Palani Chettiyar's great grandfather was Gopu Chettiyar who was a tamarind merchant. He saw me and bought this land from the family of Robert. By that time more than 20 trees were around me. Our Tamarind family was very happy to my being the oldest of them. I was happy to watch so many birds living their lives happily in my branches and in the other trees near me. Every morning they sang in different tunes which was quite pleasing. Gopu Chettiyar always liked to lie down on his self-made wooden cot under me. He is a singer gifted with a good voice. He used to sing many folk songs which I enjoyed. There were a couple of owls also which made a lot of noise when other birds were sleeping in the night and feared the owls.

The biggest hole in me was once created by a wood pecker but alas, the bird was one day caught by an eagle while on the job of pecking me. Later a crow family occupied the hole as their home and many little ones used to caw for their food and the mother crow would bring worms, fruits etc., and feed them. It was a pleasing sight to watch the little crows learning to fly and leaving the hole in my trunk. I have lost count of the birds whcih visited my branches for building their nests for comfortable and safe living.

Gopu Chettiyar left his property to Dhamodhara chettiyar his son, who was not much interested in trees, or spending time wlith us in the grove. He was by profession a bill collector for the local Panchayath or Municipalityh, and always was on his cycle pedalling from house to house to collect money. He used to sell cigarettes while collecting his bills. He went for swimming in the deep woods and lost his life when he was 60. The family had some dispute whether to keep this grove and sell us all to some one or retain as their own property. I was worried whether anyone would cut me and my friends in this grove. Luckily the youngest of the children lPalani Chettiyar took over this grove as part of his share of family property, leaving the other properties to his siblings.

Palani Chetty took care of the trees, and the yield improved and he began making money selling the dried tamarind fruit in bags to shops and wholesalers. He built his house very close to me which you see there. He is also now old and I am worried very much about our future. I am very old and dont know my age.

The tree continued its story... a local medicine man Rajarao was disliked by me. Everyday he would come here and remove some ofthe barks from me and other trees. I understood he made some medicinal powder out of it. Initially I was sad but later I understood and felt happy that I am being useful to humanity as a medicine. My leaves are tasty the school children who used to pluck them and chew them would say... I was happy. My fruits are in great demand. Many collect the seeds of my fruits for playing games. I enjoy. I too cried when Mahathma Gandhi was killed. I dont know politics but I liked good men always like my Robert.

I was proud whenever people resting under me, enjoying the shade said '' Oh what a breeze here and cool shade. Why not we remain here permanently...'' The birds in my branches were afraid whenever people were around me fearing some one is prowling to kill them and their young ones.

A parrot family was the longest resident in my branches before he flew away one day. An old man once selected a straight branch to be cut from me for use as his walking stick. I did not feel sad or cry. I liked the beaming face of the old man when he began walking before me, using the stick he made out of me... Well one pandit was loudly chanting a sloka under me. ''itham sareeram paropakaram'' I dont know any of your languages but heard him explain the meaning to the person near him ''This body is given by God for serving others without expecting a reward''. Is it not a good thought? Am I not doing it? Can there be any better purpose of my existence..??

When Siva Thatha stopped his story of the Tamarind tree with the questions raised by it... the children were extremely happy and looked at the big tree before them, acknowledging the truth revealed by Thatha who asked them ''my dear children, will you ask yourselves .. When the tree could be a model why not I play my role in serving others.....Will it not make me more happy then?''

Yes Thatha it would be interesting to search ourselves with the question.
Remember the Tree is not just what you see externally, the trunk, branches and leaves. It has a great part serving to keep it alive unseen like God keeping us alive.''
What is it Thatha?''
''It is called the ''Root''. I shall tell you tomorrow about it'' said Siva Thatha.



No comments:

Post a Comment

GHANTASALA SONG

 கண்டசாலா  விருந்து  ஒன்று.  #நங்கநல்லூர்_J_K_SIVAN   ''தண்ணொளி வெண்ணிலவோ''   என்ற  அருமையான   கண்டசாலா வெங்கடேஸ்வர ராவ் கணீ...